Sunday, June 29, 2008

Daring Bakers' June Challenge - Danish Braid

A Danish Braid is in the family of butter-laminated or layered doughs. This was my first Daring Bakers' challenge...butter-laminated...layered dough...I was nervous! Fortunately, the process sounded much more intimidating than it was.

This recipe was selected by Kelly of Sass & Veracity and Ben of What's Cookin? . The recipe is on Kelly's blog with beautiful pictures and fabulous descriptions.

Kelly and Ben included links to videos as additional "how-to" resources. Thank you! Thank you! I especially liked the PBS video with host Julia Child and guest Beatrice Ojakangas. Besides getting tips on Danish pastries, I incorporated two other tips into my baking....


Beatrice used a wooden chopstick to level flour! Loved this idea!


She sprinkled flour using a powdered sugar sprinkler.
I had one and filled it with flour. Loved this idea also!


Here we go.










I followed the recipe closely and the results were beautiful. Yum! This is a fabulous recipe and much easier that I expected. I can't wait to try a different filling next time...maybe some berries and cream. Check out other Daring Bakers at Daring Bakers Blogroll.


11 comments:

Michelle said...

Love the sprinkled flour shaker...what a fabulous idea!!!

Your braid turned out beautiful!

Welcome to Daring Bakers!

Anonymous said...

yummy, congrats on your first challenge!!

Anonymous said...

Your blog name is brilliant! Welcome to TWD! Your bread looks great, BTW!

Prudy said...

Pretty braid and welcome to TWD also!

Beryl said...

Great job! I joined too and am anxiously awaiting July's challenge
Welcome to TWD.

Anonymous said...

You are so organized, unlike me! And welcome to TWD!

Dolores said...

I always learn something (usually lots of things) from other bloggers during my review of our daring baker 'reveal'...

I'll definitely be employing your chopstick trick for leveling flour. Thanks for sharing. And great job!

Anonymous said...

Great job on your challenge

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...that "grand finale" pic did it for me - looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Daring Bakers! Excellent job on your first challenge.

Anonymous said...

Your braid looks so good! Great job on your first challenge. It's great to have you with us.